A panel debate will be organized by the Geneva Centre for Human Rights Advancement and Global Dialogue and the World Council of Churches on the impact of peace education to promote mutual understanding and cooperative relations between people and societies.
This debate entitled “Education for Peace in a multi-religious world “ will be held on the occasion of the 2018 World Human Rights Day on 10 December 2018 from 14:00 to 16:30. It will take place at the United Nations Office in Geneva in room XXV.
The focus of the conference will be to discuss how Education for Peace can engage different stakeholders to counter violent extremist narratives, build peaceful and inclusive societies as well as to promote universally shared values upheld in diverse faiths and creeds.
The panel debate will be opened by Ambassador Idriss Jazairy, Executive Director of the Geneva Centre’s Board of Management and Reverend Dr. Olav Fykse Tveit, General Secretary of the World Council of Churches.
Debate will be moderated by the Executive Director of the Geneva Centre Ambassador Idriss Jazairy.
Panellists of the conference:
- Monsignor Indunil Janakaratne, Undersecretary of the Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue;
- Professor Anantanand Rambachan, Professor of Religion at St. Olaf College (US);
- Professor Majeda Omar, Associate Professor of Contemporary Western Philosophy at the University of Jordan, former Director of the Royal Institute for Inter-Faith Studies of Jordan;
- Dr. Debbie Weissman, Former President of the International Council of Christians and Jews. Author of “Memoirs of a Hopeful Pessimist: A Life of Activism through Dialogue”;
- Ms. Maria Lucia Uribe, Director of Arigatou International Geneva - Ethics Education for Children;
- Mr. Renato Opertti, Senior Programme Specialist, IBE-UNESCO;
- Ms. Beris Gwynne, Founder and Managing Director of Incitare. Former Australian diplomat and aid official and NGO Executive;
- Mr. Jan-Willem Bult, Head of Children & Youth Media and Chief Editor of WADADA News for Kids.
All attendees who do not hold a UN badge are kindly requested to register at UN's INDICO registration portal by 8 December (12:00) the latest.
Marianne Ejdersten, WCC director of communication: [email protected], +41 (0) 79 507 63 63
Blerim Mustafa, Geneva Centre communications officer: [email protected], +41 (0) 22 748 27 95