We are thankful for:
- the beauty, natural resources, wildlife and different cultures in these countries
- the produce that small farmers continue to grow amid environmental and other hardships
- the spiritual vitality and growth of the churches and how they are cooperating with each other and those of other faiths and practices
- the relative peace and stability that prevails after long years of civil war and political struggle.
We pray for:
- more democratic governments that are free of corruption and that prioritize what the people most need
- those working to alleviate the poverty, illiteracy and hunger that so many in these countries still experience
- churches faithfully bringing the gospel to, and serving, all people with greater respect for how those of other faiths express their spirituality
- emotional and physical healing, and restoring hope in people who are victims of conflict, disease and human rights abuses
Peace prayer for Ivory Coast
Lord, eternal Father, creator of the skies and of the universe,
creator of this land of the Ivory Coast,
your intention was to make it a paradise,
like the one entrusted to Adam and Eve.
But the people have strayed from you.
Lord, have mercy on the Ivory Coast.
Look upon the suffering of its people, the wounded hearts, the families torn apart and destroyed.
Look upon the distressed children, the young people with nowhere to turn to for help!
Look upon the efforts to restore peace, and make each one a peacemaker.
We pray for political leaders,
that you will grant them your wisdom.
Raise up men and women full of love, of justice and of truth,
able to guide your people to complete fulfilment,
courageously, impartially, and generously.
Bless and protect all the inhabitants of this country!
We pray in the name of Jesus Christ, the Prince of Peace,
who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit
to the end of the ages. Amen.
(Awa Foucher Cisse, Ivory Coast)
Our Father in heaven,
you are the God of gods, the King of kings.
We ask you to bless our governments,
our leaders, our elders
and all those who are in powerful positions.
Give them a heart which abides by your will
so they no longer favour injustice,
but act for the well-being of all,
in all things.
Give us all humble hearts
so that we have good things,
and your blessing forever for our country.
Bless the activities of the farmer, the fisherman,
the businesswoman, the artist, and all other workers.
After the dry season, send us the blessed rain
and favour us with a plentiful harvest
so that we may glorify you.
Have pity on the poor, the soldiers, the sick.
Help those who are alone
and console those who are devastated.
Support pregnant women and mothers.
Help the widows and widowers.
Be father and mother to all orphans.
God, bless your word for Christians,
and for non-believers,
so that they may be assured
and lean on you
to obtain forgiveness for their sins
and become your children.
O Lord, have pity on us.
You are the God of mercy.
You are the strength, the glory, the honour and the holiness,
forever and ever.
(© 2005 Josephine Sanvee, Togo)
Prayer for forgiveness
Voice 1: O God, most mighty among the heavens, forgive our sins. Amen.
Voice 2: For private and secret sins, O God, forgive us. Amen.
V1: For not walking uprightly, O God, forgive us. Amen.
V2: Forgive our young people. Amen.
V1: Forgive our adults. Amen.
V2: Forgive our men. Amen.
V1: Forgive our women. Amen.
V2: Visit not the sins of our fathers on us. Amen.
V1: If you should visit their iniquities on us who worship you,
we shall be hurt. Amen.
V2: Therefore blot out all their sins this day, O Lord. Amen.
V1: Forgive us individually. Amen.
V2: Forgive us corporately. Amen.
V1: Grant forgiveness to all who worship you and do your will on earth.
(Pastor Franck Mawuli Adubra, Togo. Prières pour le monde 2004 © Fédération protestante de France, Paris, France. English transl. Terry MacArthur, © 2005 WCC)