19th ICASA Conference 2017
Call for Faith Networking Zone workshop proposals on:
- Reducing stigma and discrimination
- Increasing access
- Defending human rights
The ICASA Conference is the biggest AIDS conference in Africa.
The conference theme “Africa: Ending AIDS - delivering differently” engages all stakeholders to prioritize human rights and a new vision of leadership to reach the 90-90-90 targets for 2020 and the elimination of AIDS as a public health threat by 2030.
The 19th ICASA is an opportunity to renew this global commitment by drawing the world’s attention to the fact that the legacy is now under threat as a result of the global economic downturn and less attention to address HIV as a global development priority.
The conference will be an excellent opportunity to promote inter-sectoral achievements in the AIDS response and to strengthen the partnership among governments, civil society, faith-based organizations (FBO) and development partners.
The objectives of ICASA 2017:
- Promote innovation, partnerships to increase domestic investments to achieve 90/90/90 targets
- Integrate approaches for sustainable Responses towards ending AIDS, TB, Hepatitis and associated diseases
- Translating science into action to maximize programme impact
- Provide a platform to Maintain and Sustain Investment for CSO and FBO’s
- Provide a platform to promote rights-based models to overcome structural and policy barriers towards universal access
Faith Networking Zone
People of faith are actively engaged at the community, national, regional and international levels to be part of intensive efforts to achieve the 90-90-90 targets for 2020 and the elimination of AIDS as a public health threat by 2030.
The Faith Networking Zone at ICASA 2017 will be a lively, engaging and inspiring space and an opportunity to highlight the important role of FBOs in the global response to HIV. The space will:
- Provide opportunities for networking, sharing of experiences and capacity building for FBO representatives attending ICASA 2017;
- Facilitate faith-based advocacy with a common voice;
- Provide a space to brainstorm on how to strengthen a more coordinated, visible and strategic FBO leadership and advocacy.
Framework for Workshops
Each day from 4 to 9 December 2017, the Faith Networking Zone at the ICASA Global Village will host workshops and activities. Workshop streams will run in parallel, with three different sessions of workshops, and three workshops offered in each session. Each workshop will be 1 ½ hours.
We are soliciting proposals for these workshops. The workshops will be grouped around the three sub-themes:
- Reducing stigma and discrimination;
- increasing access to treatment; and
- defending human rights.
Workshops may focus on:
- skills building,
- practical action,
- good practice, and/or
- theological reflection.
If you or your organization have experience, skills or new resources you wish to offer at the Faith Networking Zone at ICASA 2017, please fill in the Proposal for workshop form and send it to email@example.com by Sunday, 5 November 2017.
The WCC-EAA HIV Strategic Group will review all proposals to ensure a range of topics, approaches, representation and relevance to the sub-themes, given the limited number of workshop spaces.