Participants will be using “Churches and Moral Discernment. Volume 2: Learning from History,” a World Council of Churches (WCC) Faith and Order publication in which expert historians, theologians, and ethicists examine the occasions for and the processes of change within traditions.
Current tensions within and between churches are often the result of disagreements over moral issues. Churches thus face challenges to preserve unity and meet obstacles to restore unity. Seeing the urgency of the matter, the webinar is designed to assist churches in finding ways to deepen mutual understanding leading to dialogue.
The webinar is second in a series of three being organized by the WCC Faith and Order Commission.
Speakers will include:
- Prof. Dr Myriam Wijlens, University of Erfurt (Germany) (moderator)
- Rev. Dr Morag Logan, Melbourne (Australia)
- Dr Antigone Samellas, Athens (Greece)
- Prof. Dr Dirk J. Smit, Stellenbosch University (South Africa) and Princeton Theological Seminary (USA)
- Rev. Dr Hermen Shastri, general secretary, Council of Churches of Malaysia
- Prof. Dr Bernd Oberdorfer, University of Augsburg (Germany)