Presbyterian Church of Vanuatu
The Presbyterian Church of Vanuatu was inaugurated in 1948. At that time the New Hebrides Presbyterian Mission Synod marked the mission's centenary by handing over the responsibilities to indigenous leadership. The Presbyterian Churches of Nova Scotia, New Zealand, Australia and Canada, and the Free and Reformed Presbyterian Churches of Scotland, all contributed to the Presbyterian mission in the New Hebrides, now Vanuatu. The PCV is a stable and still growing church, despite the challenges it is facing. A recent development is the decentralization of leadership, in order to strengthen the presbyteries and sessions. The church is also doing a national review of its work, and establishing a national development plan. Other activities include a school of evangelism, Presbytery Bible colleges, mission training, and a refocus on outward mission to neglected areas in Vanuatu as well as mission outside Vanuatu. The church operates three secondary schools and three rural vocational training centres. An average of six pastors graduate every year from the Talua Ministry Training Centre, which the PCV agreed to develop as an ecumenical institution. The Church of Melanesia and the Presbyterian Church of Vanuatu signed an agreement to provide training together for the future leaders of Vanuatu. The PCV treasures the long ecumenical partnership with the WCC and other ecumenical bodies and partners in the mission of the Lord Jesus Christ.