Evangelical Presbyterian Church of Togo
(Eglise évangélique presbytérienne du Togo, EEPT)
The Evangelical Presbyterian Church of Togo is the fruit of the work of the North German Missionary Society (Bremen Mission) which began its activities in what is now the Volta region in Ghana. The church was established towards the end of the 19th century. All the missionaries except one had to leave the area at the end of the first world war. At that time the church had 22,000 members.
Under the first African leader the two churches in the anglophone and francophone parts of the territory were united in one synod in 1922, when the church became autonomous. From 1922 onwards the Paris Missionary Society assisted the church in its relations with the colonial government, the schools, the training of catechists and the evangelization of North Togo. In 1959 the church took full responsibility for all its activities.
The EEPT has introduced new forms of evangelism, hoping that these will lead to the liberation and identity offered by God in Jesus Christ, including the deliverance from physical illnesses. Each member of the church is encouraged to become a witness to the gospel by realizing that he or she is part of the church of the poor. These new ways of doing evangelization have resulted in several social projects, e.g. a hospital, several dispensaries, primary and secondary schools, centres for social and rural projects, associations of volunteers and chaplains for pupils and students, and for hospitals. Women are motivated and very active in several associations.
The church is organized in six ecclesiastical regions. Its synod meets once a year and the decisions are implemented by the executive board. A synodal committee which is composed of the representatives of the regions and the members of the executive board meets four times a year. The EEPT which is financially dependent on outside help, especially from Germany, is trying to achieve financial autonomy.