Evangelical Church of Congo
Protestant missionary work in what is today the Republic of Congo began in 1909 with the arrival of missionaries sent by the Mission Covenant Church of Sweden. Baptist missionaries, also from Sweden, started evangelizing a region in the north of the country in 1921. From 1947 onwards, missionaries of the Mission Covenant Church of Norway worked in another area in the north. The Evangelical Church of the Congo became autonomous in 1961. It is the largest Protestant church in the country and is growing rapidly. The fundamental vocation of the EEC is to proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ, in obedience to the commandment to make disciples of all nations. The church recognizes its responsibility to evangelize the people among whom God has placed it, as well as other people who have not yet received the gospel. The church also responds to its calling through other manifestations of the Christian faith, in particular by committing itself to the struggle for justice, peace and the integrity of creation, and in combating illness, misery, poverty, ignorance, obscurantism, the pollution of nature and the ruthless exploitation of human beings and the earth's resources.
By virtue of its charismatic approach and its zeal, its use of African musical instruments and its dynamic campaigns of evangelization, the church has a distinct influence in the society. The EEC is very interested in the improvement of medical services, the practice of preventive medicine and the enhancement of the standard of living. It runs a number of dispensaries and maternity wards. It has a theological faculty for post-graduate theological studies and a Bible institute for the training of evangelists. The church has a rich spiritual life but lacks financial resources. Many of its members are unable to contribute financially to its activities. The EEC maintains close relations with churches in Sweden, Norway, Finland and France.