30 May 2023
15:30 - 17:00
Today, millions of women and girls around the world are stigmatised, excluded and discriminated against simply because they menstruate. It’s not acceptable that because of a natural bodily function women and girls continue to be prevented from getting an education, earning an income and fully and equally participating in everyday life.
Due to societal taboo as well as lack of access to sanitary hygiene, many women and girls are forced to use unhygienic products during their menstruation period and suffer from health challenges. The lack of adequate access to water and sanitation, particularly in schools adds to the cultural complexity around menstrual hygiene and its impact on young girls. Successive absences from school due to monthly menstrual cycle/periods, girl children while growing up end up becoming school drop-outs.
The objectives of the webinar are to:
1. Create awareness on this important issue which is seldom talked in churches and FBOs
2. Break the taboos and end the stigma surrounding menstruation
3. Raise awareness about the challenges regarding access to menstrual products, education about menstruation and period-friendly sanitation facilities e.g., water supply in schools, toilets, bathrooms, etc.
4. Mobilise the funding partners to support local actions at churches and institutions to address this issue.
5. Contribute towards building a world by 2030 where no one is discriminated / held back because they menstruate.