WCC Webinar-“Forgotten Tragedies: Remembering the Past and Moving Towards Reconciliation”
The purpose of this webinar is to capture some of the learning from the series of regional webinars organised in 2021 by the WCC Commission of the Churches on International Affairs (CCIA) to mark its 75th anniversary, and open up the conversation around issues of acknowledging past wrongs, forgiveness, healing of memories, reconciliation, memorialization and reparations.
Speakers and participants will consider challenges to moving toward reconciliation, as well as the related work of the WCC and faith communities. They will explore the question: “What are the implications of restorative justice for the ecumenical movement?”
Panelists will be sharing about the Truth and Reconciliation Commissions in South Africa, the inter-generational trauma coming from the residential school tragedies in Canada, and also explore how Germany addressed and confronted history.
- Sandiswa Lerato Kobe, lecturer at University of South Africa
- Dr Catherine Namakula, chairperson of the UN Working Group of Experts on People of African Descent (video contribution)
- Martha Pedoniquotte, Community Capacity Development Coordinator of the Indigenous Ministries and Justice Unit, United Church of Canada
- Rev. Prof. Dr Konrad Raiser (Evangelical Church in Germany), former WCC general secretary
- Prof. Fabian Salvioli, UN special rapporteur on the Promotion of Truth Justice Reparations and Guarantees of Non-Recurrence
Register here to join live, Tuesday 13 December, 14:00 CET