Geneva Peace Week offers an opportunity to connect and highlight the work of peacebuilding actors and to expand the space for building peace and resolving conflict through dialogue and negotiation. World Council of Churches is involved in organization of two events during the Geneva Peace week.
The role of religions in settling conflicts
Event organized by the Permanent Observer Mission in Geneva of the Sovereign Order of Malta in collaboration with the Permanent Missions of Azerbaijan, Lebanon, the Holy See, the World Council of Churches (WCC) and the International Catholic Migration Commission (ICMC).
- H.E Ambassador Salim Baddoura, Permanent Mission of Lebanon, Geneva;
- The Apostolic Nuncio H.E. Msgr. Ivan Jurkovič, Permanent Mission of the Holy See, Geneva:
- Peter Prove, director of the World Council of Churches’ Commission of the Churches on International Affairs:
- Mgr. Robert Vitillo, The Secretary-General of the International Catholic Migration Commission (ICMC).
Female religious actors and gendered peace structures
The event will explore how to address some of these challenges, in order to contribute to opening up new arenas for women’s participation in peacebuilding. The event will draw on Norwegian Church Aid, World Council of Churches and ACT Alliance’s broad experience from facilitating women’s participation in peacebuilding at different levels.
- Rev. Elizabeth Aya Noah Galla, Ordained Minister with the Episcopal Church of South Sudan.
- Romana Bashir, Executive Director of Peace and Development Foundation, Pakistan.
- Muzhgan Jalal, Peacebuilding Programme Coordinator, NCA Afghanistan.