Time for Creation
1 September to 4 October is Time for Creation.
The beginning and the end date of Time for Creation are linked with the concern for creation in the Eastern and the Western traditions of Christianity, respectively.
September 1st was proclaimed as a day of prayer for the environment by the late Ecumenical Patriarch Dimitrios I in 1989. The Orthodox church year starts that day with a commemoration of how God created the world. On 4 October, Roman Catholics and other churches from the Western traditions commemorate Francis of Assisi, known to many as the author of the Canticle of the Creatures.
The proposal to celebrate a Time for Creation during these five weeks was made by the Third European Ecumenical Assembly in Sibiu in 2007.The following year, the WCC Central Committee invited churches to observe Time for Creation through prayers and actions.
- produced by Eco Congregation Scotland on behalf of the Church of Scotland.
- Sustainable September resources from the Uniting Church in Western Australia.
- Educational resources for all ages from Creation Justice Ministries.
- Prayers, songs and texts on climate, spirituality and peace with the Earth available in English, French, German, Kisuaheli and Bahasa Indonesia on the website of the United Evangelical Mission.
- Multilingual brochure "God’s creation – a house of life for all" published by the Evangelical Church in Central Germany in cooperation with partner churches from Slovakia, Sweden, Tanzania and the United States.
- Season of Creation eucharistic prayer in English, Portuguese and other African languages, by the Anglican Church of Southern Africa Environmental Network. See also their revised Season of Creation resource collection (pdf).
- Sermon notes, intercessions, group study and harvest festival ideas by Churches Together in Britain and Ireland (in English with Welsh and Irish translations).
- Resources including a set of worship service outlines by the United Church of Canada
- Resources collected by the
- Resources provided by Let all Creation Praise
- Exegetical and liturgical resources collected by the Network of Earthkeeping Christian Communities in South Africa (in English and Afrikaans)
- Prayers, blessings and meditations collected by the European Christian Environmental Network (in a variety of languages). See also their
- Readings, sermons, songs and other liturgical resources are also available on the Australian website Season of Creation.
- Worship, teaching and prayer material by the
- Prayers and liturgies, preaching and educational resources by the Canadian Green Church project (in English and French)
- Church resources by the .
- Season of Creation resources by Rev. Dr Jason John of the in Australia
- Resources in Swedish by the
- Documents by the Globalization and Environment unit of the (in Italian)
- Outline of a on the theme of creation held at the Ecumenical Centre on 22 April 2013
- See also the Ecumenical Water Network's reflections and resources from the .