Reformed Christian Church in Serbia & Montenegro
|Church Family :|
|Based in :||Serbia|
|Present in :|
|Member Of :|
|Associate Member Of :|
|WCC Member Since :||1948|
This church used to be part of the Reformed Church in Hungary, from the time of the Reformation until 1920. By the Treaty of Trianon (1920), which was and still is perceived by the Hungarians as unjust and cruel, Hungary was split up and lost large parts of its territory to the surrounding newly formed states. Some three million Hungarians were forced to live as minorities in Yugoslavia, Romania, Czechoslovakia, Austria and the Soviet Union (Ukraine). Like in the other countries, the Reformed Hungarians in Vojvodina, the northern part of Serbia, had no other choice than to organize their own church, the Reformed Christian Church in Yugoslavia. After the wars in the 1990s and the dismantling of Yugoslavia, the name of the church eventually became the Reformed Christian Church in Serbia and Montenegro.
The church has kept the same confessions as the Reformed Church in Hungary, the Second Helvetic Confession and the Heidelberg Catechism. The church is scattered and the main problem is to organize the pastoral care of the diaspora. The pastors travel continuously to visit several small congregations under their care. Among the priorities of the church are children and mission to young people. In spite of the material and economic difficulties of the members of the church and the pastors, the church takes its mission very seriously. It participates in healing the wounds of the war, of NATO bombing and of the years of dictatorship. The church has good ecumenical relations with the other WCC member churches in the country.